Written by Laura Stotland
Back to school looks very different this year. As a parent, there is a lot of stress involved with the decisions we need to make this school year. With kids at home, we have many new challenges. Who will watch the kids? Can the kids learn online? What about their social well being? Are they getting enough physical activity? How can parents work and take care of their kids at the same time? Should I get a tutor? Should I join a pod? You get the picture.
This is hard for everyone involved. Parents, Teachers, Kids… it can all be very overwhelming! It is important for parents to make sure they are not only taking care of their families and all that is involved, but also taking care of themselves.
Here’s some tips from parents that have helped us during the pandemic:
- Create a daily routine. Not only does this help our kiddos, but this helps keep things running as smoothly as possible for parents.
- Get plenty of rest, drink lots of water, try to eat healthy foods and get some exercise. If your body feels good, you will feel less stressed.
- Get some fresh air! We are so lucky to be located in such a beautiful place with incredible weather. Get outside, go for a walk, and try to get some daily vitamin D from the sun.
- Make sure you are working in some self-care. It can be as simple as reading a book, having a glass of wine, or catching up with a friend. Just make sure you are working in some “me” time.
- Give yourself some grace. Online learning will be far from perfect, but everyone from the teachers and faculty are working so hard to give our students the best education possible given the current situation. Try to be patient, this is so hard and things will be far from perfect or ideal, but we can do this!
Here are some additional resources that we have on our website that might be helpful to get you through this difficult time.
- Top 6 Tips for Keeping Your Child Motivated During Distance Learning
- Top 10 Distance Learning Tips for Parents
- 10 Simple Steps to Overcome Quarantine Fatigue
- 6 Easy Steps to a Healthier and More Productive Lifestyle
South Bay Mommies & Daddies is a community platform for parents & family-friendly local activities. We bring you information on Local Events, Community News, Opportunities to Give Back, What to Do/Eat/Shop & more! Our Facebook group is a place to ask questions and share your ideas and tips on all things local. It takes a village!